Welcome

Hi everybody! I created this blog so that you all could cheer Rory on throughout his battle with DSRCT. I know all of you care so much about Rory and want to be updated on everything going on and so I thought a blog would be the best way to do it! Thank you for all your love and support.

Kristen

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" - Proverbs 3:5

Prayers for Rory Wheeler from India

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 2 - Surgery

Well today has been a very long day and we are all tired.  Rory was taken from his room at about 6:45am to start getting prepped for surgery.  They took him away about 8am into the OR and the incision was made at about 9:24am.  Our first update came at 11:30 and we were told the largest tumor had been removed and they were still working on getting other tumors out of his abdomen.  At 2pm we got another update that they were still working on clearing out his abdomen and that they still couldn't tell us when he would be done.  About 3:30 we got the call that surgery was complete and that we would be meeting with the surgeon shortly to discuss the surgery.  We waited for what seemed like an eternity for the surgeon to come in and I could literally feel my heart in my throat.  Rory did great!  The surgeon went through the whole surgery with us and informed us of everything that was done.  They removed two huge tumors and multiple smaller ones that were all over Rory's abdomen.  The surgeon told us that he got everything he could see!  He also had to take part of Rory's bladder and rectum but was able to leave the spleen.  Rory needed 8 units of blood during the transfusion, but the surgeon assured us that all the bleeding was controlled and just apart of the surgery since it was such a long and major operation.  At about 6:30 we were finally able to go into the recovery room and see Rory.  He was still sedated but he looked GREAT.  He had several different tubes coming out of him and was swollen in the face, but again, he looked GREAT!  I stood at the foot of his bed amazed at what had just happened.  Most of you reading this know Rory well and know that for the past 8 months he has looked about 7 months pregnant.  Well today as I stood at the foot of his bed, watching him rest peacefully, he had NO BELLY.  His stomach was as flat as a table top and I just couldn't and still can't get over it.  It is truly AMAZING and a step in the right direction to beating this horrible monster.  I know that we still have a long road ahead of us, but this just feels and looks soooooooooooooooooooo good!  

To date, this has been the most trying day of my life.  I leaned on God all day and have just allowed Him to carry me for I could not walk by myself and make it through the day without Him.  I knew Rory would do just fine.  I appreciate all of you who prayed continually throughout the day and your prayers were definitely felt.  I remember sitting in the waiting lobby just feeling warmth and comfort because I knew we had people everywhere praying for Rory.  I really felt each and every one of your prayers and God was definitely with Rory in that operating room.  

These next few days and months are extremely important for Rory's recovery.  With any operation there are always the risks of infections and complications post-op and so I continue to ask for you all to pray on his behalf that God gives him the strength to bounce back from this operation and that his body is able to fight off any potential infections.  I also ask that you continue to prayer for Xander and Patrick and everyone else who has been effected by this DSRCT.   

Right now Rory is still in the recovery room where he will remain for the night.  We all came back to our hotel since no one is allowed to stay over night and Rory is in good hands there with a nurse and PA at his bedside all night.  Hopefully tomorrow he will be moving to a room.  The nurses in the recovery room were all optimistic and said that the surgeons were very pleased with the way the surgery went and that Rory was doing great.  He is one tough cookie and I know he will be so excited to see his new flat stomach :).  I am so exhausted physically and mentally and I just hope I can get some sleep tonight.  I want to be by Rory's side, but know he's in good hands and needs his rest.  I just can't wait for him to finally opens his eyes and I can say I love you to him and tell him how proud I am of him.    

Kristen

"Cast all your worries on Him because He cares for you."  - 1 Peter 5:7  
"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." - Psalm 28:7

11 comments:

  1. Been praying all day today at work and God has truely blessed Rory to have given him someone like you, Kristen! Keep us updated and know that the prayers are still flowing! Bush

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome, Kris!!! I'm so glad things went well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy to hear that the surgery went well. We are praying for Rory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! And the prayers keep coming! Here comes some positive energy for those of you who are with Rory these days. I know you will all need it. It is auto-replenishing so take as much as you need whenever you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wonderful news and answers to so many prayers today! thank you for keeping us updated. we'll keep praying for rory's continued strength and for all of you there with him. sending love & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so so so awesome. God is amazing. He is so so so good and I am so happy for Rory, you, and all of your families and friends. We will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to hear the news! Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for keeping us all update on Rory's progress and your's. He is very lucky to have someone like you to be by his side. Also, I'm here in NYC (Chelsea) about 15 min from Sloan-kettering so if you are in need of anything please don't hesitate to contact me at bethmach@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen --
    Thanks for giving us this wonderful update. I look forward to seeing more good news as these next days unfold. You and Rory have prayers coming from Atlanta.
    Reggie Sumpter

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such glorious news! It lifts my spirits knowing how well things went the last few days. Praise God! Both of you and your families are so strong. More prayer is definitely coming your way!

    ReplyDelete