Welcome

Hi everybody! I created this blog so that you all could cheer Rory on throughout his battle with DSRCT. I know all of you care so much about Rory and want to be updated on everything going on and so I thought a blog would be the best way to do it! Thank you for all your love and support.

Kristen

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" - Proverbs 3:5

Prayers for Rory Wheeler from India

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Has it really been a month?

 Wow, life sure does fly by and Rory and I have been keeping rather busy.  Since my last post, Rory has gone through two more rounds of chemo, a stent replacement, a CT-Scan, and a PET scan.  Rory's second round of treatment was much like the first.  He had very little side effects and pretty much pushed right through it.  Following his second round of chemo (Irinotecan and Vincristine) Rory got his kidney stents replaced and a CT-scan done.  Here's the good news.  Rory's CT scan was the first time we have ever received a good report from the doctor.  Our doctor told us that there are no new spots (YES), that several of the sports have shrunk (YES and YES) and that a few other spots stayed the same or grew very slightly (OK, i'll take it).  According to the doctor, the slight growth could be due to the necrosis in the tumors rather than actual tumor cells growing (in laymen's terms - that's a good thing).  So all around a very much needed good report that has been (in my opinion) long over due!  For the very first time, I left the doctors office feeling like I could breath.

For Rory's third round our doctor added Temodar to the Irinotecan and Vincristine cocktail.  Our doctor informed us that this could really make Rory nauseous and could have a greater effect on his counts.  Well Rory finished this third round last Friday (11/5) and he has yet to get nauseous from this chemo and as I type this he is at the office hard at work.  This past weekend we were able to enjoy a busy Saturday with the Spartan football game, a steak dinner at a local camp, and a get together at my brothers house.  It was a full day and Rory was the last one standing, while I was the one who petered out early!  Also, Rory has finally gotten his appetite back and as you can see from the pictures has been gaining his weight back!  After surgery he was at 126lbs and at our last chemo visit he weighed in at 151lbs!  WOOHOO!  He's been working hard at it, eating non-stop and lifting weights.  So far, so good!  I pray it stays that way.          

One of Rory's biggest requests has been to get his ileostomy bag reversed.  After his surgery in NY we were told by the surgeon there that he could have it reversed sometime in October.  After the positive CT scan results, Rory contacted Dr. LaQuaglia's team last week to see about the possibility of a reversal.  Angela, the NP, got back to Rory, requesting a PET scan be done so that Dr. LaQuaglia could get a better look at what was going on in his abdomen.  Once Dr. LaQuaglia has a chance to look at the PET scan he will determine whether he can have the reversal at this time or not.  In addition to the reversal, while he is in there, Dr. L said he would remove any spots remaining that he can see.  WOW!  We weren't expecting that.  I have prayed continuously that God removes the present sports in Rory's abdomen and that he removes any of the sports we cannot see.  Talk about answering prayer.  Rory's CT scan showed no new sports (prayer answer #1) and Dr. LaQuaglia wants to remove the current sports that are remaining (answer #2).  Rory had his PET scan done just yesterday (11/8) and the results will be shipped of to NY asap.  Please pray that the results show the cancer is continuing to shrink and that Dr. LaQuaglia will be able to reverse the ileostomy and remove any remaining spots that he can see.  I will be sure to keep you all updated on whether or not a return visit to NYC is in our near future!


In other news, our wedding is fast approaching.  Seven months and counting!  I am getting extremely excited and all the details seem to be coming together (including Rory's recovery).

Thanks for all your constant love, support, and prayers.  They keep us going.

~Kristen

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.



5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kristen! I need to stop reading these at work- but keep them coming! :) Love you both and am praying continuously! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news! Keep up the good work you guys and keep the good reports coming!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news!! We will keep praying for more wonderful news! God is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen and Rory,

    My name is Bobby Grow, I'm a young guy like Rory (maybe a bit older, I'm 36 --- was 35 when diagnosed with desmoplastic). I went through this all last year, my tumor was self-contained by my rt kidney (although my oncologist said that it was technically stage 3 since a lymph node near the tumor was infected). They were able to do surgery, but only after 7 terrible rounds of chemo (I experienced lots of side effects). They fully removed my cancer with clean margins, and the pathology showed that the 25 surrounding nodes had no cancer in them. I did two more cycles of chemo after surgery (so a total of 9), and then decided that was enough (I had terrible neuropathy in my feet from the chemo, I'm still recovering from that). I finished my last cycle of chemo in June and had my first post-chemo (surgery) CT scan in August (which is when I was declared "cancer-free").

    I haven't read where Rory's tumor[s] are at (or were), but I see that he has an ileostomy bag (my dad has had one of those for years, for different reasons than cancer); so I gather his cancer was in that region?

    Anyway, I just wanted you guys to know that I am praying; I love Jesus more than anything, and know that He is not bound by any statistics or errant "cells" . . . in short, I know He is in loving control.

    I will continue to follow Rory's situation (and your's Kristen --- my wife was a constant support and rock through that season, I'll pray that the Lord gives you the strength you need to support Rory as well, Kristen). If Rory would want to contact me, he can send me an email at icor22@hotmail.com. Also, I blogged through much of my cancer; my blog address is: http://bobbygrow.com

    In Christ,

    Bobby Grow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw,

    I'm sure you have great docs, but I was able to be treated at one of the only "sarcoma" clinics in the country. We live in the Pacific Northwest, and live very close to OHSU (Oregon Health & Science University), where the sarcoma clinic is located. My medical oncologist is Dr. Christopher Ryan (here's his bio url: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/health/services/providers/ryanc.cfm). You may want to consider having your oncologists contact him in regards to my treatment; the chemo-cocktail that they used was very successful on my tumors (e.g. it totally killed the tumor in my lymph node, and it shrunk my primary tumor from the initial size of a soft-ball to the size of a golf ball [at the time of my surgery]) --- in other words, the trend of my chemo treatment was very very good. They basically modified and used the protocol typically employed to treat the "Ewings sarcoma." Anyway, I thought you might find this helpful; and maybe your docs might find this helpful in re. to creating a protocol for Rory.

    Again, if you guys have any questions please email me at: icor22@hotmail.com

    I'm praying!!!

    In Christ,

    Bobby Grow

    ReplyDelete